Home > Marist Institute > General House, Rome

 

April 18 - 20 years of the
Canonization of Marcellin Champagnat


 


 



 


Social networking

Marist Brothers

RSS YouTube FaceBook Twitter

 

Today's picture

Brazil: Marista Lucia Mayvorne, Florianópolis

Marist Brothers - Archive of pictures

Archive of pictures

 

Latest updates

2019-04-17 - General House2019-04-16 - East Timor2019-04-16 - General House2019-04-16 - Belgium2019-04-16 - General House2019-04-15 - United States

 


Calls of the XXII General Chapter



FMSI


Archive of updates

 

Marist Calendar

18 April

1907: Br. Theophane, 4th Superior General of the Institute, died in Mataró, Spain
1999: The Pope John Paul II canonized St. Marcellin

Marist Calendar - April

General House, Rome

 

Welcome to the General House of the Marist Brothers in Rome

You are in the General House, the centre of communion for all Marist communities in the world, and residence of the Superior General and his Council. The General House was in the beginning at the Hermitage (1825), then moved to Saint Genis Laval (1858). Both of these are in France, but when the brothers were expelled from that country, it was established at Grugliasco (1903), in the north of Italy. It was relocated to Saint Genis at the beginning of the Second World War. The property on which the present General House stands in Rome (55.000 m2), is situated in the area designated for the "Exposición Universal Romana” (EUR). The building, constructed on the foundations of what was to be the Fascist "Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry,” was inaugurated in 1961. 

In this residential zone of Rome there is the “Palazzo dello Sport” designed by Pier Luigi Nervi (the architect who designed the “Aula Pablo VI” in the Vatican) and a beautiful lake.  The central building of the General House is the residence of the Superior General and his Council, and a community of brothers who look after the various services of the General Administration.

The building housing the former International College was remodeled in 2000 to make better use of the facilities, and thus was born the “Villa EUR - Parco dei Pini”.

In 2016 the building was rented to a company, which autonomously manages the hotel Parco dei Pini, Villa EUR.

66973 visits